Saturday, July 5, 2008

You Know This - Last of the Johnsons

This post reminded me of this minorly amusing story...

So, just before my grandpa passed away, he told me that he doesn't want me to get married. This request is not a huge threat at this point in my life, but a little bit concerning. I don't want to go against the wishes of a dying man. Besides that, maybe he knew of some deep dark family secrets or had some elderly wisdom to share with me. So I asked him, "Grandpa, why don't you want me to get married?" His reasoning... He didn't want our last name to die out. Now, this may seem sweet, but there are a few blatant problems with this request.

A- I am a girl with high morals. In order to carry on the family name, I would need to have children. But I won't have kids without being married first. Catch-22.

B- My cousin Duncan is a guy. He probably should be the one to carry on our family name.

C- Our last name is Johnson. Last I checked, there is a plethora of us out there. The name is not going to die off any time soon!


Sorry Grandpa, but I don't think this is a request that I can fulfill for you. Maybe I will name a child Gilbert after you... or maybe not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Hibbard said...

If you name your child Gilbert he will WANT to be the last of his family. Actually he'll be lucky to make it to have his own kids...
Cute Grandpa.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home